From: Diana
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:48 AM
To: Dad
Subject: Palin
Did you watch the RNC last night? Sarah Palin gave a great speech. I mean, I completely disagree with most of her beliefs, but she was great. Quite likeable. [ed.: if you're into that sort of thing] I think she will have quieted some critics after last night.
Here’s an interesting fact about the two candidates approach to taxing. I thought it pertinent since you once derided Obama during our conversation about my income taxes. This is an excerpt from this article:
PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."
THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.
Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.
He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.
From: Dad
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:59 PM
To: Diana
Subject: RE: Palin
Sugar Plum, [ed. yea, he calls me that. embarassing/kind of sweet]
I agree that Sarah presented a great speech. It was very refreshing and her opponents have to be quite concerned. You may have been looking at a future president in the making. Even if the McCain-Palin ticket is not successful this time around, God Forbid!! LOL…She will be running for President some day.
I do not really understand your statement that you disagree with most of her beliefs. Like what?
I think some of the most important hopes we can have for our president are these:
He maintains the traditions of our country, which are capitalistic based and rooted in Judaeo - Christian values. Obama is the most liberal Senator in our country today, or ever. His association with radical left terrorists likes Ayres, and hate America preachers like Wright are a big concern as they reflect his core beliefs. What he says in speeches is to get elected is to be taken with a grain of salt. His core beliefs will drive his behavior. The most dangerous part of him is that he is eloquent and charismatic. He is virtually an unknown entity that is being heavily supported by left wing money and media that wish to move the country towards a secular progressive society . This is a shift the majority of Americans are not in favor of and not the right course in my belief. Do not be fooled by the rhetoric. He represents a major shift in American values and American society. Also, he has absolutely no experience or track record to be even considered for the most important job in the world. Think about it.
The selection of Supreme Court Justices affects the direction of the country for many years. A conservative Supreme Court is critical to maintaining the core beliefs of the country…and slowing the changes that are inevitable as our democracy matures. A liberal court will only hasten the secular progressive movement, and the country will be changed forever, for the worse, and much too quickly. San Francisco is a micro example of that society. It is chaotic with no bedrock values anchoring the framework.
Defend the country from evil forces. We are a target for terrorists and dictators looking to improve their status by attacking us. Only a strong leader can protect this nation. And the best protection is being strong and them knowing it. He has no idea how to do this and seemingly little inclination that the threat is real and always present.
We need to become oil independent from the Middle East. That means drilling all our oil deposits, off shore and in Alaska. What is happening now is the biggest shift of wealth in the history of mankind. Our wealth is going to our potential enemies in unimaginable amounts. This has to be stopped. The Democrats , for reason unknown to me, have presented an opposition to this for years.
We have to control our borders. Neither party is willing to address this in fear of losing the Latin American vote. Shameful.
Keep the economy strong. Capitalisms and support to business, large and small, does this. Large government is the anti Christ to a good economy. Never doubt that for a minute. Also taxing people more and allowing the government to in effect redistribute the wealth is not what America is about. That is called Communism or Marxism or Socialism. And they have both been tried and failed in Russia, China and even parts of Europe. We are the most powerful country on earth for a reason. A strong democracy and a capitalistic society.
Anyway, that are some of my thoughts off the top of my head. You are young and idealistic. That is not a bad thing. And the democratic sound bites do have appeal for idealistic values. But do not be fooled by the promise of this utopia they present. For under the surface those same people represent some of the most anti American values and have made the most vicious attacks on this country that I have ever seen. And I mean our Senators in Congress.
And Diana, because I know you are smart, I want you to always look at the bigger picture. Do not let one or two issues like abortion or health care influence your position. Nothing is more important than the security of the country (our freedom) and our economic health(our ability to maintain our strength as a nation). For without those, everything else is a non issue.
Enjoy the election process. This is one of the more exciting elections in many, many years.
Dad
Awesome that he actually took the time to write all that. Interesting that we completely disagree on almost every issue. How did I come out of that household? Obvs, I wasn't letting that go unanswered.
From: Diana
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:17 PM
To: Dad
CC: My (democratic) sister
Subject: RE: RE:Palin
Dad,
I think a statement like “Palin is a president in the making” is a bit of an exaggeration. She clearly has some raw talent [ed.: in delivering a speech, motivating her minions], I don’t disagree there. However, Palin is too far right. She is ultra-conservative in every way. I also find it curious that you warn of eloquence and charisma as being motivators when it comes to Obama but endorse them when it comes to Palin, someone who is even more of an unknown than Obama and at the very best, and I’m being generous here, equally inexperienced.
As for what issues I disagree with her on:
· Abortion: I am not a single issue voter, no. But as a female this is extremely important. What is more undemocratic than refusing a woman the right to choose the destiny of her own body? Palin is pro-life to such an extent that she does not even support abortion in the case of rape or incest. I value this right very highly and I think it’s deeply concerning that the republican party is so predominantly pro-life. McCain is wishy washy on this.
· Religion: I bring this up because this is what I believe to be the foundation of the pro-life abortion mantra. Religion has no place in government. I feel strongly about this. It can be argued that religion provides a foundation for a moral or ethical code and perhaps that is true, though it is not a necessary means to that end. We are all free to worship or abstain from doing so in our private lives, but that’s all. We can teach family values and the importance of morals and integrity without reference to a God.
· This brings me to creationism. Palin believe in this, which frankly I find absurd. She also has argued that it should be taught in school. Also, ridiculous, obviously because of evolution but also because America is a conglomerate of different beliefs.
· Guns: she’s a card carrying NRA member. Anyone who is this zealous about guns freaks me out. The bill of rights speaks of a right to bear arms, sure. Let the hunters have their rifles, fine. But we are well beyond the days of militia men and we need serious handgun control.
· Gay Rights: gays should be afforded the same rights and opportunities as heterosexuals and that should be the end of the story. I don’t really understand why anyone has a problem with this, it has no direct effect on anyone but homosexuals. If you don’t want to call it “marriage” because that has religious implications and an understood definition of male-female, fine. Call it a civil union, but don’t deny a citizen a privilege because of their sexual preference.
· As Mayor, Palin tried to force the city to censor the books they shelved in the library. This is highly concerning.
· I’m opposed to tearing up the Alaskan wildlife refuge for oil. More on this below.
· Global Warming [ed. Palin is "not convinced," neither is Dad]
On to your points:
He maintains the traditions of our country, which are capitalistic based and rooted in Judaeo - Christian values. Obama is the most liberal Senator in our country today, or ever. His association with radical left terrorists likes Ayres, and hate America preachers like Wright are a big concern as they reflect his core beliefs. What he says in speeches is to get elected is to be taken with a grain of salt. His core beliefs will drive his behavior. The most dangerous part of him is that he is eloquent and charismatic. He is virtually an unknown entity that is being heavily supported by left wing money and media that wish to move the country towards a secular progressive society . This is a shift the majority of Americans are not in favor of and not the right course in my belief. Do not be fooled by the rhetoric. He represents a major shift in American values and American society. Also, he has absolutely no experience or track record to be even considered for the most important job in the world. Think about it.
- I don’t know enough about the congressional senate to really debate whether or not Obama is the most liberal senator now or ever but that statement strikes me as extreme. His platform was almost identical to that of Hilary Clinton and I don’t think anyone saw her as a radical.
- I agree that people should not put so much worth in his charisma and rhetoric. A grain of salt, indeed. I think I’ve said this before but I’m not an Obama-file. I’m not a cult worshipper here. I still think HRC should have won the nomination. I by no means think he’s the perfect candidate and I think it is in fact concerning how swept up people get by his celebrity status and promises of change. I’m voting for him because his political beliefs more closely resemble mine, not because I think he is going to solve every problem in America.
- I also agree that his core beliefs will drive his behavior. I don’t condemn Obama because of his association with Wright. I think you’re blowing that a bit out of proportion. I was actually just reading an article in the New Yorker earlier today about a similar religious fanatical, John Hagee, and his endorsement of John McCain and the uproar that caused. (This was a guy who gave sermons about the Holocaust being part of God’s plan and preaches about an apocalyptic end to the world.) McCain sought this endorsement only to later reject it. We heard less about this because the Wright issue was a bigger media focus. Anyway, I find any and all political allegiances to religious fanatics and evangelicals concerning, but the bottom line is they all do it. They’ll take the endorsement until it blows up in their face because the reverend or pastor turns out to be a nut and then they’ll try to distance themselves.
The selection of Supreme Court Justices affects the direction of the country for many years. A conservative Supreme Court is critical to maintaining the core beliefs of the country…and slowing the changes that are inevitable as our democracy matures. A liberal court will only hasten the secular progressive movement, and the country will be changed forever, for the worse, and much too quickly. San Francisco is a micro example of that society. It is chaotic with no bedrock values anchoring the framework.
- I’m not sure why we would want to try and thwart change and the natural evolution of the country. Change is, by nature, slow. I don’t think we need to set up roadblocks to slow it even further.
- I support a move toward a secular and more progressive America. I don’t believe in God and I don’t believe in religion.
- I don’t see SF as chaotic. I see it as a haven for people who are closer to the fringe of society because it is a very liberal and progressive city. I guess this begs the question: what do you think bedrock values should be? I suspect we disagree here. What makes you say that SF is chaotic?
Defend the country from evil forces. [ed.: evil forces? is this Star Wars?] We are a target for terrorists and dictators looking to improve their status by attacking us. Only a strong leader can protect this nation. And the best protection is being strong and them knowing it. He has no idea how to do this and seemingly little inclination that the threat is real and always present.
- I agree here that we need defense. Though I don’t know that anyone knows how to do this at this point. GWB has destroyed our global reputation. Clearly, that approach has not worked. I think Obama’s approach is not weak, just different. Why not at least try diplomacy before resorting to brute force? I disagree that he has no inclination that the threat is real and present. I think the choice of Biden as VP was in part to bolster his strength in the foreign diplomacy department. I also think this is an incredibly complex issue. It’s not as simple as America strong-arming the world into compliance.
We need to become oil independent from the Middle East. That means drilling all our oil deposits, off shore and in Alaska. What is happening now is the biggest shift of wealth in the history of mankind. Our wealth is going to our potential enemies in unimaginable amounts. This has to be stopped. The Democrats , for reason unknown to me, have presented an opposition to this for years.
- I do not think we should be drilling into the Alaskan Wildlife. From what I’ve read, the oil that we would get from there would be insignificant in relation to the massive amount of oil this country uses. I’m not totally against offshore drilling however, as a means of temporary relief since gas prices are oppressively high. What we should be doing is focusing on energy alternatives that are renewable and that move us away from being so hopelessly dependant on oil and the Middle East. Here’s a good op-ed from the NY Times today if you’re interested.
Keep the economy strong. Capitalisms and support to business, large and small, does this. Large government is the anti Christ to a good economy. Never doubt that for a minute. Also taxing people more and allowing the government to in effect redistribute the wealth is not what America is about. That is called Communism or Marxism or Socialism. And they have both been tried and failed in Russia, China and even parts of Europe. We are the most powerful country on earth for a reason. A strong democracy and a capitalistic society.
- I strongly agree that the economy is an important issue in this campaign. Troubling then, that McCain seems to have such an elementary understanding of it. (McCain: “The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should.”) Palin does not offer any assistance here either. I don’t think anyone can deny that McCain is no scholar.
- You are speaking about political theories as though they are black and white. Yes, Capitalism is at the core of what this country was built on. (The American Dream!) But Capitalism comes with a set of problems too, just like Communism/Socialism/Marxism. (Ex: Big businesses (Walmart,etc) gobbling up smaller, privately owned businesses.) I don’t think it’s okay for America, as a society, to turn their back on the less fortunate and disenfranchised. Why shouldn’t the very rich carry a heavier tax burden than the very poor? I don’t think this erodes our notion of Capitalism and who does this really hurt? I think it makes us a nation that does everything it can to give its citizens a chance to succeed and live a good life. It makes us a compassionate society willing to make minimal, insignificant personal sacrifices to help those who desperately need it.
Anyway, that are some of my thoughts off the top of my head. You are young and idealistic. That is not a bad thing. And the democratic sound bites do have appeal for idealistic values. But do not be fooled by the promise of this utopia they present. For under the surface those same people represent some of the most anti American values and have made the most vicious attacks on this country that I have ever seen. And I mean our Senators in Congress.
And Diana, because I know you are smart, I want you to always look at the bigger picture. Do not let one or two issues like abortion or health care influence your position. Nothing is more important than the security of the country (our freedom) and our economic health(our ability to maintain our strength as a nation). For without those, everything else is a non issue.
- Yes, I am smart, you are correct. I agree on that point, wholeheartedly.
- By this point in the email I think it’s clear that I consider more than one or two issues. Yes, the two that you name are very important to me. I’ve already touched on abortion. As for Universal Healthcare, yes I think that this is something the government should work to provide its citizens with. A woman I work with is dying of cancer right now. She isn’t expected to live through the end of the year. Rather than spending her last few months of life focusing on herself, her health and her son (she’s a single mom) she has to log in hours at work to retain her health benefits. She has to stress out about keeping her job so that she can afford chemo and so that her son is insured. This is just one example that happens to have hit close to home but there are countless stories like this.
- I’m not a sucker for democratic sound bites or grandiose promises of change and I think that rampant partisanship is damaging. I have no false notions of utopian societies. I approach all politicians with skepticism. The leaders of this country have made some serious mistakes in recent years. I don’t think challenging those decisions is anti-American. On the contrary, I think it is precisely in the spirit of America. A healthy and thriving democracy is one that questions and challenges the status quo. To quote: “America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.” (Bonus points if you recognize where that quote’s from.)
-Diana
Obama/Biden ’08!
No comments:
Post a Comment