Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Oh, roommates...

I just came across this LOLworthy gem over at PassiveAggressivenotes.com:



What did Blythe forget to throw away, you ask?


Wait for it....




Oh, just her gum. Ha.

This site is kinda hilarious and awesome. The roommate and office stuff is always the best because those are two situations that so often turn into a clusterfuck of neurotic behavior and passive aggressiveness. (For some reason I really wanted to type "agressivity" there. No, no, now that's not a word.) Amy must be a sweet, sweet girl. I'm not really into handwritten notes, but if I'd left this one, it probably would've went something like this:

What the fuck?
---->

Actually, no. That's a lie. I would've just cleaned it up and then addressed the gumdropper at a later date. Actually, this would not have even bothered me that much. I mean it's pretty ridiculous, yeah. But I'm not that easily worked up over things that are "gross." It's mess and clutter and people leaving shit all over the place that incites rage. Oh that and food rotting in the fridge.

In my apartment, passive aggressiveness is conveyed via email. But often messages are conveyed verbally and directly. I guess some might call this plain old fashioned aggressiveness. For instance, just now, one of my two roommates took the latter approach with me:

Roommate: It's time to throw away *your* hairballs in the tub. There are like three in there.


My Brain: WTF? *MY* hair? Oh because you don't shed at all, right? At least I take them out of the drain so they don't clog the tub which is more than you do. And FYI, I throw the hair out ALL THE TIME.


Me: So why don't you throw them out then?



See, I'm just passive aggressive IN MY MIND. And that makes it okay. Not really, but you have to pick your battles I say. Also, I think it's important to note that this particular roommate is a psychotic germophobe whose bedroom is so consistently a disastrous mess it's like post-Katrina New Orleans. She is also, at times, delusional and irrational. I know what's going on here is that in her mind, she assumes the hair is mine because it appears to be dark. She's missing the part of the brain that would tell her that of course her hair is there too, she maybe just can't see it. I know this because I fish blonde hairballs out of the shower after she uses it quite often. Oh, she also takes personal offense if I don't ask her how her day went, but that's a whole other story.

But enough about hairballs in the shower. Living with roommates, especially in a teeny apartment, can be a super challenge. I like my roommates--love, even--and still it's like constant compromise and concession. It was only upon moving in with these roommates that I learned you are "supposed to" hang the bath mat up to dry after exiting the shower. Apparently, it is "crazy" to not do this. "Everyone" does this. You "must" do this. It's amazing I didn't die of mold-lung or something, living all these years without hanging the bath mat up to dry!

No comments: