Well here we go. My first official attempt at keeping a blog. Over the last 6, 7 months or so I've become somewhat addicted to the blog world and have thus decided to start mine own.
This whole concept kind of blows my mind and unnerves me a bit.
Hit publish and anyone can read everything you've written. Publish Post=Public Post.
I'm not really even sure what I want to do with this yet/these yet. These words, words, words.
I think maybe the seduction here is this: all of my life I've guarded my most intimate thoughts and fears, kept them in my mind, and there alone. The idea of tossing them out anonymously into the world of cyperspace has some sort of bizarrely thrilling appeal.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I read blogs for two reasons: 1) Pure entertainment value, 2) Because I'm constantly searching for things that move me. Something, anything that will make me feel something, anything.
Sometimes words move me. I guess the internet is a weird place to look for humanity. But maybe, it isn't? Maybe, it's perfect. People are more honest when they can bare their souls to a screen instead of a face. Inevitably, people are more real, more raw when they can't see their own reflection staring back at them through a pair of judging eyes. And sometimes, just knowing that someone out there is thinking a thought or feeling a feeling that I am having/once had/will have is...comforting? That there are other people out there, across oceans in some cases, that are sharing some of this human experience with me, well it's nice to know.
Funny thing is, it's not like I don't make connections with people in the "real" world. I do. Well, sometimes. But often, in the real world, what's actually real gets buried underneath the day to day details and lost amongst obligatory "how are yous".
Really, I think, to a degree, blogging is like a conversation you have with yourself that other people may or may not read and participate in. And you can choose to uncloak as slowly or as fast as you wish, or never at all. The degree of anonymity is completely within your control and that what makes it feel safe to me. I guess in taking this step to create a blog and start posting I have made myself (ever so) slightly less anonymous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Blogs are unnerving, I agree. Although, throwing intimate thoughts and tossing them into the blogosphere semi-anonymously is quite liberating.
The internet is a great place to seek out humanity, or so I've found. You get to know real people that you probably would never have the pleasure of doing so off-line. It's an easy-out, I guess, there's less investigation involved compared to getting to know people in the street - through blogs you either like someone's thoughts or you don't, it's a quick decision. Wow look at me ramble.
Totally liberating! And theraputic? I think. I'm having fun with this so far. It's fun creating little writing assignments for myself since I don't really get to write anything (other than email) at work.
You make a good point about the internet. It really does make you privy to all these other lives and people that you wouldn't otherwise encounter. Which is a good thing.
Hi, you don't know me, but I'm going to commment now.
Blogs are validating. You get to tell things from your POV and have people back you up. This is important for me because I'm ridiculously insecure.
yypdopq. Obviously, this is "yip dog." Finally a sensical word verification.
Post a Comment